New Club on the Block

Back to Article
Back to Article

New Club on the Block

Macie McCray (10) and Kendall Lawrence (10) with their presentation

Ashley Stimson

The members presented their project to the judges.

FCCLA stands for Family, Career, and Community Leaders of America. As of the 2018-19 school year, Ashley Weber, the Family and Consumer Sciences teacher of Clearwater High School, introduced this National Student Organization to the school. This program does many things but their mission is to: “To promote personal growth and leadership development through Family and Consumer Sciences education,” according to community.ksde.org. Across the country, there are about 220,000 members in about 7,000 chapters. Through this program, you can win many awards and even have scholarship opportunities. FCCLA focuses its attention on all things involving family. It is the only student organization that focuses on just family aspects. It covers many roles a family member takes like: career preparation, creative and critical thinking, interpersonal communication, practical knowledge, and character development. STAR Events (Student Taking Action with Recognition) is a way that students in this organization can be recognized for their projects that they have completed. There are many events to chose from and within those events are categories. The four main Events are Foundational Events, Leadership Events, Career Focused Events, and Online Events. A few students have participated in these events. Macie McCray (10) and Kendall Lawrence (10) competed for the Career-Focused Event in the Food Innovations category. The created a donut pudding and qualified for State that will take place in April. Mrs. Weber originally created the pudding but Macie and Kendall, after tasting the dish, thought of ways to make it their own. A lot of work and effort went into the dish. In order to be able to use it, they had to come up with an original recipe. In order to see if people would enjoy it, they created a 5 point system they had teachers of Clearwater High School try their recipe and give it a rating between 1-5, with 5 being the highest. Then, using the feedback they received from those results, they were able to make changes to the pudding so that it could be the best it could be when they took it to competition. In their first trial, some of the teachers suggested that they make it less soggy on the bottom and less hard on the top. For the next batch, they added more sugar and used homemade donuts instead of store bought ones. During their presentation, they did their best to remember the speech they prepared.   After finding out they were going to state Kendall Lawrence stated, “I am glad to get to have the opportunity to compete with people at a higher level.” In order to do the best they can at the state, they plan to practice their speech as many times as they can. Even though it is the first time of FCCLA at Clearwater High School the new members are making an impact on the organization.

A group photo of the members taken after Sadie Baird (11) and Conner Snell (12) competed in a competition.

A group shot with Mrs. Weber after Kendall and Macie received their medals.

Macie and Kendall aren’t the only ones involved in this national organization. Conner Snell (12), Sadie Baird (11), Miranda Shoaf (9), and Savannah Schule (10) have also participated in competitions.