New Teacher Spotlight – Mrs. Miller

Back to Article
Back to Article

New Teacher Spotlight – Mrs. Miller

Mrs. Miller admiring the tree in her classroom during Finals week.

Mrs. Miller teaches Junior English, Creative Writing, and Freshman English. Here’s more about her that some people might not know. Mrs. Miller started off her teaching career when she was young. She taught at Haysville for three years just before she joined the Army. Shortly after getting out of the military, she focused on her kids and worked a few sales jobs. She realized she missed teaching and went on to work at Southeast High School before coming here to Clearwater. Mrs. Miller is on her 9th year of teaching. When asked what her favorite thing about being a teacher was, responded with, “There are so many things. It keeps me alive. It’s encouraging to see the energy of the youth of America. It encourages me to be creative and use all those parts of what is probably the good traits that I don’t normally utilize. The kids bring it out in me. It’s a symbiotic relationship like I feel like I learn just as much as they may feel like they learn from me.” Kids are always going into Mrs. Miller’s room to get help and she’s always there for them, prepared with an answer. She always tries to find ways to keep her student interested in the things that she’s teaching. She noticed that kids wanted to learn more about it after experiencing it, so she decided that hands-on projects would be the best way to provide that experience. Mrs. Miller came up with ideas for her projects when she came across something while she was reading books. She also had to get to know her students to know what would work best for them when creating the projects. The big projects that she does are meant to help them remember what they learned. Her students seem to stay interested in her class while having fun at the same time.

Cassandra Martinez (11), a student in Junior English, shared her thoughts on Mrs. Miller and the class. She mentioned how she liked being in her class and learning new things all the time. The favorite thing she learned about was the Puritans and how they lived. This was one of the biggest projects that the students did in Mrs. Miller’s Junior English class. They used their XL to experience some of the things that the Puritans did. There were stations set up all around the lunch room and each student had different scenarios that they went through like punishments that occurred when they did certain things. Cassandra said that she really likes the way that Mrs. Miller teaches and she also said, “She makes it to where you can actually remember stuff and doesn’t pile everything on you at once.” She was also asked if she’d want to change anything about her class and she responded with, “I don’t know. Everything seems perfect in her class. I wouldn’t change anything about it.” Cassandra likes Mrs. Miller and the way she teaches a lot. She mentioned how her class is always fun and the way she teaches is perfect.